Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Image Inspired Mini Story #14

When the Hound of a Thousand Faces chose to be born on Callis Four he knew he would not live long.  The body was small, female, and he felt colder than the last one.  He had his saffron acolytes bring him a sweater and went out onto the balcony.

"Where is it now?"

"It is over a city called Var Hammen, South and West, several thousand miles.  It kills everything it passes."

"I did not ask what it was doing.  I asked where it was."

The bald monk, number 38,705, fell prostrate before the him within her.  The Hound ignored the adulation.

"What attempts have been made against the Shayde?"

"Viral, nuclear, cryofission, vortian, and... psychic."

The Hound laughed, surprised by the musical sound in his throat.  "Psychic?  Really?"

"We are dying Master.  We felt that no avenue of possibility should be neglected."

"You wasted your time."  Chastised, the monk held his index fingers along his nose.

"All glory to the Eternal Hunter, I bow before the wisdom of your multitude.  Truly, you are the Stars Salvation."

"Lead me to the hangar.  I want to finish this quickly."

His worshipers were prompt and thorough.  Their serial numbers were low; they'd been doing this a long time.  The vessel was properly outfitted, bristling with antennae, glistening with sensors.  He and the monk entered and they flickered into the sky like a tin grasshopper.  The ocean blurred beneath them.  Mountains sprung from the water.  Beyond, the darkness of the Living Storm.

"Timeless One, I beg intrusion upon a few seconds of your limitless existence to speak with you, here in the moments before the end of my finite consciousness."

"Sure."

"I consider it the highest honor that I might bring you here, knowing I will die with you.  The sacrifice is little knowing that you will save my people.  I go to my fate gladly, with pride in my heart I can scarcely contain."

The Hound clicked some switches.  Instruments swiveled and they dove toward the burning maelstrom.

"Save your people?  Yeah, no.  Your planet is going to die.  Probably the next few planets as well, until I get enough readings to figure this thing out."

38,705 blinked.  "But, you're the Immortal Light of Heaven..."  Lightening lanced out and licked the ship, rocking everything.  "The Stars Salvation..."  A panel burst into flames.

"Look, I really am busy here."

The Monk slumped down into his seat.  The windows displayed a swirling mash of fire, stone, and electricity.  Something metal ripped off the ship and careened into the gale.

"You will remember me?  That I was here with you?" Asked the monk.

The Hound didn't look up from his readings.

"Yeah.  Sure."
____________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment