Friday, January 14, 2011

Carmilla Preview!

So Jill and I got to sneak into the prescreening(?) of Camilla last night thanks to Sara "Oh my god my vampire teeth are huge" Gorsky!

Okay, so anyone who knows me knows how much I like vampires; not much.  In fact, not really at all.  I'm tired of them. I'm tired that they've turned into people and aren't really monsters.  I'm tired of keeping track of different mythologies and types.  I'm not a fan.  When DO I like my vampires?  Well, that's simple.  When they're monstrous.  When they kill, feed, and only vaguely recall what it was like to be human.

Carmilla, and all the vampires in the play, are my kind of vampire!  They range from downright feral to wicked seductive, but it's clear, their main goal is to feed, to kill.  They might get conflicted a bit about whether or not they want someone to join them in this endeavor, but they are what they are, monsters.  I heartily approve.  Some of the story might seem to be made up of known elements, until you realize this story predates Dracula by a quarter century.  Carmilla is one of the primary roots of this giant wicked tree we call vampirism.  Plus, it's got lesbians, something fantastically risque for the time it was written.
Michaela looking awesome after snacking on Brittany

Everyone did a GREAT job with the acting.  I know more than half the cast but it didn't distract at all.  I am constantly amazed by these people's ability to breath life into fiction.  Both Michaela and Sara pulled off sexy/terrifying amazingly!  From Scott's hunchback to Brian's German General, everyone was awesome!

Now, I MUST give props to the production value.  This is the most gorgeous looking WildClaw production yet.  The set is dynamic and interesting, the mood is totally atmospheric, costumes are spot on, and Paul knocked the lighting out of the park.  Seriously, I think half of the tone was carried by the eerie shadows and colors in the lighting.  Really cool.

Oh, and blood.  They've got plenty off it, spattered around.

If you're reading this you're likely a friend of mine.  You should go see this.  It's playing for like a month. Here's a link to Wildclaws site and their preview trailer.

http://www.wildclawtheater.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jude! Glad and relieved you liked it. It was great seeing you and Jill there. We love your support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Jude! I hope to be doing costumes for one of yours someday soon!

    ReplyDelete