Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Ol' Drawing Board



No, I've not gone insane and started scribbling on the walls.  I put up paper, see?  Requires forethought.  I'm not entirely mad yet.  What is it?  Why (barring lunacy) would I do such a thing?

Lets take a step back before I tell you what it is.  Back to last year, the months before we opened up the frame shop.  We knew we were getting a bit of cash and we wanted to invest it into a business venture.  We kicked around several, but in the end, opening up a "flesh and blood" retail location seemed like the best route to go.  So far it's been every bit as difficult as they say opening a new business is; but it's working.  Slowly but surely, Forte' is building a customer base and we just might make it.  It was a good decision.

One of the ideas that had got left on the cutting room floor for a couple reasons; 1st - We needed a programmer for it and programmers/web-guys are notoriously flaky and difficult to work with and 2nd - They're expensive.  Now, while we could have afforded #2, the existence of #1 was a pretty big factor in going with an idea we could control all on our own.

So a couple weeks ago I touched base with an old friend.  Coincidentally the best programmer I've ever met and he's actually reliable.  As a result he's always been in demand, off on other projects, and wasn't in the running for consideration.  Well, guess what?  He's got a chunk of time on his hands, likes the idea, and we're working on it.  The whole thing is a great big green light and is poised to swallow a giant percent of my life.  This is good.  This will make some money and will help keep the frame shop floating until we're established in the neighborhood.

So what the hell is it?

It's a game.  Of course it's a game.  I'm a game designer!  You'll be able to play it.  For free.  Online.  Soon.  Beta within a month or two hopefully.

So that's the good news!  I should really go get back to it.  Lots and lots to do.  I'll keep you posted as things develop and there's more to share.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! I'm excited. Yay for game designing :)

    My novel had a similar existence on my wall back in Oslo.

    ReplyDelete